Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Montana Trip Day Two


After beginning the morning trying to get warm, Karilyn and I found our way into Jackson, WY to eat breakfast.  As the morning progressed, the temperature rose quickly, foreshadowing the theme of the day: hot and dry.

In Jackson, we stopped in for breakfast at Cafe Genevieve. Apparently, thou shall not mention bacon in vain while eating there because the restaurant made it clear that life is best with bacon.  Upon leaving, we made sure to get a selfie under the famous elk rack archway.


We continued our journey towards Montana after a brief detour to Teton village.  Taking route 22, I decided it best to avoid Yellowstone this time of year due to the asinine amount of tourists.  The drive through Idaho had it's moments but only at the beginning in which the other side of the Tetons were visible.


From this point till our "break" at a desert oasis, Idaho simply is on par with Kansas in drives I don't enjoy.  The desert oasis provided us and Reef a much needed relief from the heat of the day which hovered around 100 degrees.


Due to a lack of quality sleep the night before, I struggled with the straight and boring drive through Idaho.  So it was a huge relief to see and enjoy water.

After driving another three hours, we stopped for food at a roadside cafe in Salmon, ID.  The waitress informed me that the drive to Lake Como was still a little way to go on a very twisty road.  My exhaustion led me to seek information on a closer spot and apparently the river next to the cafe was perfect.  With a new destination in mind, we trekked down a dirt road in hopes of finding the perfect spot to hang up our hammocks.  And did we ever...

I had a lot better fortune with trying my hand at fishing.



That night, we slept for the first time in our hammocks.  The thing I love most about hammock camping is waking up at night staring into the stars.  I'm in love with an amazing girl and a wonderful God.

The morning was a lot warmer than the night before.  So warm I decided Reef  and I needed a bath.  No better way to celebrate a birthday than dipping into a chilly river.



After cleaning up, we got back on the road and started the third leg of the journey.  

To Be Continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment