Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Rock In My Life





So Saturday was yet another action packed day from the very start. The sun's radiance shining through the window dancing on my face was a great way to wake up. It felt as if God himself was saying good morning which was truly amazing. Once awake, I rushed into the shower knowing that if anything David was already up and around. We were planning on hitting up the irrigation festival in Sequim that was supposed to be the longest running in the state(locals take pride). As I scurried around the living room looking in my closet(suitcase) for some clothes, David popped around the corner looking ready to rock and roll. Stoked! Yes, we were because after the parade we were going back to the Elwah rock wall. Woohoo!

The parade wasn't really all too much other than a few really adorable kids and dogs. Thanks to the pirates and there shenanigans(thanks David for the word), I really was scared that I lost some of my hearing because of the boom of their cannons. I didn't share with David that part because I didn't want to scare anyone but it actually did scare me a lot. A few prayers later and a few more cute kids, I realized that I was going to be ok. Honestly though, I couldn't WAIT to get back to rock climbing. I was wayyyyy stoked about getting the chance to climb again.

We left the parade and beelined straight to the rock wall. A 45 minute drive that had my jaw posted on the floor because the view of the mountains was so crucial. Yeah, I'm falling hard, falling in love with the place. I kept telling David that the people in the area were just amazing meanwhile he's like brother you have so many more to meet too.

At the wall, we met up with Casey, Carolyn, Jeff, Ben, and a few others to enjoy one of the coolest days of my life together. Watching David climb is sure to get anyone stoked about climbing because he's definitely like a spiderman up the wall. But then watching Carolyn was like, "WOW" and I was pumped up and ready to go. Us guys climb with a certain amount of rigidness but it's fluid at the same time. Watching her climb up the route was like watching an amazing dancer, graceful yet strong, and it just blew my mind. So now I'm beyond ready to make my first ascent.

The route for my first ascent was not at all the hardest until I realized that I had a newfound fear of heights. The first twenty feet really didn't phase me at all. Yet once I reached a height twice that amount and found myself at the crutch(hardest part of a climb), I was completely at war within my mind. To quit or not to quit, this was the question. Consider the fact that quitting means falling off the face of the wall, trusting your rope, and ultimately feeling defeated and the idea is out of the question. I probably pondered my way up from the crutch for well over 15 minutes but I KNEW in my mind I needed this. So with words of encouragement from everyone and coaching from David, I made my way to my first ascent of 75ft.

After rock climbing, we shot over to the Upper Room in Port Angeles. Where I was blessed to be in the presence of some amazing people and heard an amazing sermon. The sermon was all about dedicating life to serving God. Something I know I want to do and in time will do. That night, I got my first chance to really break free of my temporary shyness and share my testimony with all that were present at an ice cream social at David's house. It was the most amazing feeling knowing that I got to share with everyone how God saved my life twice, once on the North Shore of Hawaii and then again in jail. I'm sure He's saved me many more times than that but to be at the two lowest points in my life and have Him help me up just goes to show he doesn't give up on anyone. Today I really realized that I was blessed with an amazing view, amazing friends, and amazing time.

Yet while laying in bed that night, I thought about what rock climbing meant to me as a Christian. For Jesus Christ is the rock in our life, the One in whom we can forever hold onto and never fear the fall, for as long as we have Him, there is no fall. When we think about giving up, we have fellow Christians who encourage us to be strong, follow his Truth, his Way, his Life and not let go. It's amazing how much I've missed not having God in my life but I am forever in love with Him knowing that He saved my life. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment