Thursday, August 20, 2009

An Engagement With God

Today, Karilyn and I made our plans to get married official, we're engaged. I'm absolutely beyond stoked, still short of breath at the thought of how amazing of a blessing she is to me. I smile beyond compare when I think of what made her and I possible, which is all God. Four months ago, sitting in jail, I never would have thought that this is where I would be now, looking forward to spending the rest of my life with the most amazing girl and God. Our engagement is an engagement with God and today really drove that point.

The day started off like any other, me in a half dazed melancholy trying desperately to sleep another minute. Yet, there was to be no sleeping in on this beautiful morning, for it was the day God had given me in my heart to propose to Karilyn. Yet, wait, NOTHING was in order. The ring was still as rustic looking as the day I received it, I still had not gotten any of the food together that we would eat, and I still had NO clue where I was going to ask the question. As I laid in bed and contemplated all of this, I felt a push, a simple push out of bed. It was God, telling me, stop worrying, and start doing. So I rolled off the bed, jumped in the shower, and rolled out the door with David Piper headed towards Bella Rosa. I told him about my dropping the question today and he's like "YEAH MAN" and all I could think was, man, I got nothing right now. No ring, no food, and no place. But somewhere within, I was bursting into a smile, knowing that somehow, all of this would come together.

It was a quick hello to my favorite barista in Bella Rosa and then I shot out the door with an hour till she got off and on a mission(a LOT of missions). I jumped in the car, went to start it up, and without fail, the car was dead. I shook my head at the steering wheel as if it could read my pain stricken face. I then turned to God and asked for help. I asked for Him to deliver us to and from wherever He wanted me to take her. I asked for Him to guide me in everything I chose that day to make it the best for her. I asked for Him to help me with the words to say when the time came to say them. And last but not least, I said, "Father, I'm not going to get very far with a car that doesn't run, so if you could keep Bertha running today, I'd be stoked." With that, the car started when I turned the key, and everything ran smooth as could be. My mission run ended at the exact moment Karilyn came out the door from work which was amazing.

I told Karilyn as we were leaving Port Angeles, "I have no idea where were going but we'll know when we get there, Gods taking us there." As we drove out 101 towards the pacific coast, I felt deep love for Karilyn and God. I was mesmerized by the blue that painted the skies and the sun dancing on the water of Lake Crescent as we flew by. Ahead, I could see storm clouds, far away at first, gradually sneaking closer and closer. My dissappointment began to build as I contemplated a plan B not sure of the weather ahead. Yet, I knew that trusting in God means that He alone is the plan. So I shrugged it off, continued our car conversation about how stupid Twilight the movie was, and kept trucking. We stopped in Forks for a blanket as the wind started to howl and the iciness nipped at our ears. Cold, frustrated, and unsure of where this would lead, I couldn't stop fiddling with the ring in my pocket, reminding myself that I had the most beautiful girl with me, and one day she would be my wife. This never failed to turn a frown into a smile. After Forks, we shot out to La Push, only to find more hard rain, miserable wind, and dreary clouds. No way we were going to start a campfire there. Finally, I needed to hit up a restroom so I found my way into a Port-O-John. While in the bathroom, I asked God to please help me find where it was I needed to go. We drove out to a point, and while there I saw a camper a half of a mile across the point. I asked Karilyn how to get there, and then asked God when she said she didn't know. We rode back towards Forks, found the road towards the beach on the other side, and took it. I am so glad we did because not only was the ride there amazing into the greenest forest I've seen, but, the campground was dry! No rain, a little bit of sun, and the wind was calmer. Only a mile away! I was near tears as I realized that God has delivered me to the very spot where I would ask Karilyn to be my wife.

I wasn't sure how to even begin to ask Karilyn for her to be my wife. So many words to say, she's so amazing, what could I say to express that. So I finally broke down while she gathered more driftwood for our fire and asked God for help. When Karilyn came back from collecting wood, she laughed at me. I asked her what was so funny and she replied, "We have GOT to get you some outdoor clothing. You look like a cute city boy who took the wrong turn." Immediately following, I felt that same push that got me out of bed, "here's my cue" I thought.

"Karilyn, you're right which is why I have to tell you something. A lot of people would say that I'm a city boy who took a lot of wrong turns and winded up here. Yet, I would tell them that I took one right turn that changed my whole life and gave me my most beautiful blessing which is you. Accepting Jesus Christ as my savior and allowing Him to lead me is the ONLY reason that I'm on my knee before you asking you, will you marry me?"

She said yes and it was amazing. What makes it most amazing though wasn't the drizzly weather, nor the food, but the feeling that God was cradling the both of us in His arms. It was a feeling like none other, something I desire my entire life, for us to be engaged with God. The most important thing I learned and am learning everyday, is to let Him lead us. Awesome day, incredible blessing, and amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment