Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Trip From Seattle To The Soul

After spending a couple of days walking the streets of Seattle, I found myself deep in thought, processing everything that I saw and heard. I remember the initial feeling of chaos that reminded me very much of the time spent walking throughout D.C. People walking one way, cars screaming another, construction wreaking havoc overhead,and it seemed as if all of time was lost in the midst of everything. Watching closely, I realized that it wasn't time that was lost, just the people running out of time. All of them, were searching for something to "fill" them and their time, not knowing that none of it mattered.

I observed the business men that seemed locked in a world of their own, trying to ensure a dollar more could be made, maybe hundreds, thousands, completely oblivious to the beggar on the street who just needed one. The beggar whom looked at all of the people, hoping for just enough money to make it yet another day, whether by means of an alcohol induced bliss, or maybe a meal to satisfy the hunger pains. I observed a woman whose only concern was the burning of her cigarette and getting through her day at work, oblivious to the soft eyes of the man afew feet away adoring her beauty. For what are they all doing these things? They are lost, all of them, in their own world, on their own time, not a minute wasted in their eyes.

I wondered for a long time, how many of them realize that all of this is temporary? I wonder how many of them know the truth about what life is really all about? I wondered how many of them are in bondage to the world and need to know the truth to help them? I wonder what I could do differently next time to truly serve the God I love? I wondered these things, not because I'm any less guilty than the guy I saw stuffing his face with food on the run to somewhere obviously important to him. Rather, I'm just as guilty as them, constantly stuffing my face, the only difference is, I know the truth, love Christ very much, and am saved. Yet, why do I continually act as if I were as blind as they are? Why do I seek things I can touch, taste, or smell when none of that matters?

All things of this world are going to stay with this world when I'm gone. I get discouraged with life when I'm feeling like I'm coming up short. My concern shouldn't be on the things I see but the things that are unseen. I know I am not deserving of what has been given to me by grace, an eternity of Gods love, at a price paid by His only son. I know what it is that I must do with my life, yet, I still struggle everyday. Somewhere in the midst of waking up, I completely forget I do not live for me, but for Him. How can I begin to do the things God wants us to do if I don't surrender to Him?

All Christians are called to live a life helping the lost find the Way. Yet, we are just as lost as they are if we aren't turning to Him for help. It'd be like having a road map in your back pocket to show you how to get where you need to go but never looking at it. Our lives are integral in Gods eyes not by what we build but who we share our love with so that He may share His with them. It is so hard to share this love if, our love is attached to things in the world and not to the One who made it all possible. It would be like sharing a glass of water that had even a drop of oil in it, which no matter how you try to avoid it, the water would not taste good for it's tainted. So the question is, how do I work on becoming a better more humble loving servant of God?

Well reading through the bible everyday is a must. I've severly lacked on my reading lately, consuming my time with the world, and not with the Word. Although I've gotten better at prayer, I need to strive to make it constant, never ceasing. I find that when I'm not praying, I am tripping over stumbling blocks. Not because God set them there, but, because I didn't rely on Him to see that I was walking the wrong way. Last but not least, with the knowledge of the Truth, the guidance by the Spirit, it is essential that I do what God wants me to do, whatever His will is, let it be done, and not my own. So here it is, the first step, recognizing and admitting I have an issue. Now I just need to pray to God and ask Him for help on dealing with this issue. God help me. Tomorrow, I'm already planning to wake up and bury my face in the Word. Good times, amazing love, awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment