Seemed like only yesterday that I stepped off a plane in Seattle-Tacoma Airport. Yet, that was a month ago that David nearly tackled me in the doorway of the bathroom(strange but true). A hug I will never forget because this chapter of my life is a new beginning for me as a Christian. Fast forward to now and my "vacation" ended up being a move. I now own a Mazda 626 which is rightly named, Betty, and I still don't have a good reason as to why. I share a house with three other roommates, David Piper, Eric, and Doug who are all awesome. Don't be intimidated by the fact that we have named a ghetto name for every day that ends with "Y". From "Sucka Free Sunday to Super Fly Saturday", it's quite interesting living with these guys. As of this week, I now hold a full-time job, which is a lot of fun learning new stuff in the construction business. I have some of the most amazing friends in such short time. I fell in love, with a dog, named Leah. I'd love to keep her but I somehow don't think Karilyn is giving her up. A lot of my friends are like, "Danny, that's crazy you got all that like that!". Crazy? No, not at all, just God, helping me out. It's moments like Monday, the most amazing day of my life, that are the real blessings though.
Monday, I set out towards Sequim, to work for a lady in hopes of making enough cash to survive here. I had exactly $7 in my wallet and I drained all of it in gas to get to her house. Upon arriving, Kathy and I met outside, surveyed the job which consisted of basic stump removal and grass edging. We agreed on a certain amount an hour and I immediately got to work. I was stoked, knowing that God had provided this opportunity for me to help me out. Little did I know that I would be there to help her more than I could ever have dreamed. Pulling up the little stumps only took a little bit of time despite a sweat dripping effort. Kathy left to run some errands and I was left alone to continue on with my job. I scanned my next job, edging the yard to make an even line past these huge stumps that bordered her neighbors driveway. If I did this task, it would leave a three foot gap between the driveway and the yard of nothing but dirt. All I could think was, this lady has the most amazing view of the Olympic mountains, and she wants to wreck it? After calculating the job, I realized that I needed to pull the stumps, and help her repair her yard. But how? These stumps were about a foot each in width and would normally cost $200-300/each to have removed. While digging around one of the stumps, the neighbor, who I was warned was not nice, approached me trying to size up my job. The neighbor and her handyman both tried to tell me it wasn't worth doing and that the lady I was working for was broke and wouldn't pay. Once I ridded of them, I pondered what they said, and decided I'd offer to remove the stumps for next to nothing at $100/each. Kathy returned, I offered, and she begin to contemplate it. As she did, I began to notice the relection of tears in her eyes. "I can't, I just don't have the money, I'm a single mom, making the best I can, $16,000/year, in a house I can't afford that was left to me". She turned, told me to just edge it, and proceeded to head inside. Puzzled by what just happened, I was saddened that I caused her to cry like that. I was frozen, unsure what to do, unsure where to start, and not feeling like I was worthy of being paid anything. So I did the only thing I could think to do, pray. I dropped to my knees in the middle of the yard, closed my eyes, and asked for God's help. The still hot air was intense but it's heat was beaten back by a cool soft breeze that gently danced acrossed my skin. As if God himself was whispering in the wind, I heard it, loud and clear, I was to do all the work for free, and ask for only enough money for what I needed, gas and food. I smiled, for I knew, He was there, I felt love like no other, and that was all I needed. I got up off my knees, made way to her door, knocked, and smiled like no other. When Kathy answered, I told her I talked to God, and He instructed that I do the work for free. I told her, "God sent me here to only make enough to get to and from work this week and eat, so $60 will do, but Kathy, God loves you so much, and He wants you to know this." A river of tears began to flow from her eyes as she listened to me and all I could do was hug her. She hugged me for what seemed like ever and began thanking me. "Don't thank me because I would not be here without God and He is the reason that I am doing this, He sent me here to show you that He hasn't forgotten about you, even though you forgot about Him". After that, I prayed over her, gave her one last hug before making way to the stump.
I picked the biggest one. I'm not sure why but I do know that it was probably one of the toughest things I've ever done physically. For over five hours in the scorching heat, I worked diligently, only stopping for water and prayer. At several points I really wondered if I could possibly pull it up alone. Realizing that I was four hours in, three feet deep in dirt, no where near finished, and completely out of energy. I really felt like giving up. I prayed hard, asking for Him to help me, hoping He'd give me a way to get this stump up. Again I heard Him, this time telling me to hammer the top of the stump with the axe I had. Didn't make sense but I was willing to try anything. After ten hard whacks, the stump began to move off it's base, and I felt a rush of victory. God and I beat the stump! A half hour later, Kathy came out and watched me attempt to lift it off the ground. I was unsuccessful because it weighed an enormous amount and I was still in shock that I had pulled this thing out of the ground. So instead of breaking my back, I hacked it in half and took the peices out. I just couldn't stop thanking Him for the help as I filled the dirt back in. Kathy who still wasn't over crying and hugging, thanked God and me, for helping her find her way back to Christ.
The drive home, I was in the most europhoric state of reality as I comprehended what just took place. I was just stoked that God was so amazing and loving. The blessings He has given me don't compare to the chance to share Him with others. I can only hope that He will continue to lead me to other people who are lost. My experience in jail was definitely amazing when I found Christ. But, nothing compares to watching Him save someone else and being apart of that experience. Yeah, end of story, start of a new life, and infinite love for enternity. God is awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment