I get the question a lot, how do you talk to God? I get this question from both believers and non-believers. The question often comes after I tell them, "well, God was telling me". The first thing I'd ask them isn't, "how do you talk to God", but rather, "ARE you talking to God". Talking to God is really easy, doesn't require much more than simply thinking or saying, whatever it is you need to say to Him. Then it hit me that I think what people really are asking when they ask me how I "talk" to God is how does God "talk" to me?
I talk to God all the time, probably a majority of the day is spent simply talking to Him, whether asking for help, stating a funny point, or just thanking Him. Listening to God takes a lot more than I'd like to admit. Not because God makes it so hard for me to listen to Him but because I don't listen to Him as often as I should. This has always been a problem of mine, always talking, never listening, and often times I would have known the answer if I would have just stopped talking. Lately, I've been getting better about listening to God but I still struggle often.
There are a few ways I find it easy to listen to Him. Somtimes, I'll simply go on a walk with God. Literally and figuratively. Sometimes, I'll drift around the town, just listening, and when I least expect it, I'll get an answer to one of my prayers. Other times, I will feel Him pushing at me. In response I will usually tune the world out, stare into a void, and just listen. God can speak through anything He needs to, whether it be people, a simple road sign, or in the case of Moses, a burning bush on Mt. Sinai. I think honestly that some people concentrate so much on discernment and trying not to step off Gods path that they can't even hear Him giving directions to maintain His course for them. Sad, since they only desire to be with Him yet they won't simply listen. Sad, that I am writing this very blog because I've been struggling with this very same thing. Yet, the awesome thing is that I've spent all day asking God to help me write. Here is His way of telling me what I need to do, talk less, listen deeply.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment